Mental Health in the Summer: 7 Ways to Boost Your Mood and Reduce Stress
Mental Health in the Summer: 7 Ways to Boost Your Mood and Reduce Stress
It's not always easy to enjoy the season if you're struggling with mental health issues like stress or depression. Summer is a season of renewal and rejuvenation, but it can also bring about mental health challenges for some people. Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is a type of depression that affects many individuals during the winter months, but it can also occur in the spring and summer months as well.  That's why we've compiled a list of ways to boost your mood and reduce stress this summer, along with some helpful supplements from Freeda Health.
First, let's talk about some common symptoms of depression or mental health issues for you to be aware of. These can include any of the following feelings:
- Difficulty sleeping or concentrating
- Changes in appetite or weight
- Loss of interest in activities you used to enjoy
If you're experiencing any of these symptoms, it's essential to seek help from a mental health professional. However, there are also things you can do to help improve your mood and reduce stress on your own, in addition to your doctor's recommendations.
Spend Time in Nature
One way to boost your mood during the summer is to spend time outside in nature. Research has shown that spending time in green spaces can help improve mental health by reducing symptoms of anxiety and depression.  Another way to bring nature indoors is to incorporate plants into your living space. Indoor plants have been shown to improve mood, increase productivity, and reduce stress levels. 
If you're feeling particularly stressed, anxious, or overwhelmed, taking a walk in nature can help reduce these feelings. Research has shown that walking in nature can help improve cognitive function and boost mood. 
You will find exercising at the top of all lists to help improve mental health. That’s because movement is so powerful for your body and mind! Regular physical activity has been shown to reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety.  In addition to traditional exercise like running or lifting weights, yoga is another form of physical activity that can help reduce stress and improve mood.
Listen to Music
Music can also have a powerful impact on our mental health. Listening to uplifting music can help improve mood and reduce feelings of stress and anxiety.  Create a playlist of your favorite songs and listen to them whenever you need a mood boost.
Social support is also important for mental health. Spending time with loved ones can help reduce feelings of loneliness and improve overall mood.  Make plans to spend time with friends or family members who make you feel good.
Practicing mindfulness techniques like meditation, deep breathing, and yoga can help reduce stress and improve mood.  Engaging in a creative activity like painting, drawing, or writing can also be a relaxing and mood-boosting experience.  And for a relaxing end to your day, try aromatherapy with essential oils like lavender, bergamot, and chamomile, which have been shown to have calming effects on the body and mind. 
Try Something New
Another way to boost your mood is to try something new. This could be a new hobby, like painting or cooking, or simply trying a new restaurant or activity in your area. Doing something different can help break up the monotony of everyday life and give you something to look forward to. And if you're feeling social, consider joining a group or club that focuses on something you're interested in. This can help you meet new people and form connections, which can also be beneficial for mental health.
Nutritional supplements can be a helpful addition to a healthy lifestyle. Freeda Health offers a variety of supplements that can help improve mood and reduce stress. Here are some of our most popular supplements that may help with stress.
SCD B Complex with C and Zinc “Stress Formula”
Freeda SCD B Complex with C and Zinc is a “stress formula” that combines essential B vitamins, vitamin C, and zinc to support your overall health. By taking these capsules, you can potentially enhance your energy levels, support your immune system, and promote overall vitality and well-being.* The key benefits include:
- Improved energy levels: B vitamins aid in energy production, helping you feel more energized throughout the day.*
- Enhanced immune support: Vitamin C and zinc contribute to a healthy immune system, helping you fight off infections and illnesses.*
- Overall well-being: The combination of B vitamins, vitamin C, and zinc supports optimal brain function, nerve health, and cellular function.*
- Antioxidant protection: Vitamin C and zinc act as antioxidants, protecting your cells from damage caused by harmful free radicals.*
- Vitality and healthy aging: By providing essential nutrients, this supplement may contribute to healthy aging and promote overall vitality.*
Another supplement that may help enhance mood and reduce stress is Freeda Inositol powder. This supplement is a type of B vitamin that has been shown to have a number of potential benefits for mental health. Some of the benefits of Freeda Inositol powder include:
- Mood improvement: Inositol has been shown to help improve symptoms of depression, anxiety, and mood disorders. According to a study published in the Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, inositol was found to be effective in reducing symptoms of panic disorder and depression.* 
- Stress reduction: Inositol has also been shown to help reduce symptoms of stress and anxiety. According to a study published in the Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, inositol supplementation reduced symptoms of anxiety in patients with panic disorder. *
- Supports healthy brain function: Inositol plays a role in healthy brain function and may help to improve cognitive function. According to another study, inositol has been shown to have a positive effect on memory and cognitive function in both animals and humans. *
If you struggle with sleep issues, you may be interested in trying Freeda Melatonin. This is available in both 1 mg & 2 mg of Melatonin per sugar-free chewable tablet. Melatonin helps regulate sleep-wake cycles. Some of the potential benefits of Freeda Melatonin include:
- Improved sleep quality: Melatonin has been shown to help improve sleep quality in individuals with insomnia or other sleep disturbances. According to a study published in the journal Sleep Medicine, melatonin supplementation improved sleep quality and reduced sleeping problems in participants with primary insomnia.*
- Reduced jet lag: Melatonin has also been shown to help alleviate symptoms of jet lag, such as difficulty falling asleep and daytime fatigue. A meta-analysis published in the journal Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews found that melatonin was effective in reducing the severity of jet lag symptoms.*
- May support healthy aging: Melatonin has antioxidant properties that may help protect against age-related decline and promote healthy aging. According to a review published in the journal Antioxidants, melatonin has been shown to have neuroprotective and anti-aging effects.* 
Of course, supplements alone aren't a cure for mental health issues like depression or anxiety. It's important to seek help from a mental health professional if you're experiencing symptoms.
In conclusion, summer can be a challenging season for those struggling with mental health issues. However, there are unique ways to boost your mood and reduce stress, like spending time in nature, trying something new, or joining a group or club. And if you're looking for supplements to support your mental health, consider Freeda SCD B Complex with C & Zinc, Inositol, and Melatonin. Remember, taking care of your mental health is an important part of overall wellness, and there's no shame in seeking help if you need it.
*The information in this article has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or illness.